“Personal branding is about managing your name—even if you don’t own a business—in a world of misinformation, disinformation, and semi-permanent Google records. Going on a date? Chances are that your ‘blind’ date has Googled your name. Going to a job interview? Ditto.” – TIM FERRISS
Building a personal brand has never been more important than it is today. Anyone with access to the internet and social media can build an audience, position themselves as an expert, and start attracting the right people for their business or job. And that’s exactly what a lot of people are doing.
Personal branding should be viewed as the marketable strategy to increase your exposure and the public’s understanding of what you do. Personal branding is NOT bragging, instead it should be viewed as education and focus.
If the public doesn’t know who you are, or you exist, how can you sell your product, expand your business or get the next promotion or job.
5 tips on building your personal brand
- Define your core values: Before you start building your personal brand, it’s important to identify the core values that you want to represent. This will give you a strong foundation to build from and will help you stay consistent in your messaging.
- Create an online presence: Use social media to your advantage and create an online presence that people will remember. This could include creating a website, setting up a blog, or even creating a podcast. Bonus if you post on Linkedin on a regular basis!
- Showcase your work: Don’t be afraid to showcase the work that you’ve done. It doesn’t matter if it’s a project you completed for a class or a large project you completed for a client. Showing off your work can help people get a better understanding of who you are and what you’re capable of. It’s NOT about bragging instead it’s focused on educating the public on WHAT YOU DO.
- Connect with other professionals: Networking is a great way to build your personal brand. Reach out to other professionals in your industry and connect with them. Building relationships with other professionals can help you get more exposure and can help you gain valuable insights.
- Stay consistent: Consistency is key when it comes to building your personal brand. Make sure that your messaging is consistent across all platforms and that you’re regularly engaging with your audience. This will help you stay top of mind and will help you build a strong brand.
Are you a creative (or any professional) and want to dive deeper? Watch this short masterclass “Strategic Branding For Creatives” that I taught LIVE last fall for more insights. Great tips not only for creatives!
Leave a Reply